Tuesday, December 31, 2013

So I think I prefer...


So I think I prefer to write in the wee hours of the morning. I'm talking 12, 1, 2 in the morning. The further I push the better I think I'm writing. I might not be writing better and it might just be because my judgement is skewed by fatigue.  It might be because it reminds me of college when I would put off writing assignments- the very death of me; assignments I never looked forward to- and end up writing them late at night.  I always ended up pulling them off though and I think it's because of the added pressure.  I have a sneaking suspicion that I enjoy writing this late because I finally get to unwind from the day and turn my sarcasm filter off.  It's exhausting trying to not insult anyone 24 hours a day.

So not to totally poop all over the sanctity of marriage, since I do plan on getting married one day and having a family.  A really big family in fact, I'm talking like 4 little squirts running around causing my husband and I to pull our hair out and never sleep.  I want to be driven crazy by scheduling soccer practices and piano lessons and that one problem kid's parent/teacher conference all in the same day.  I would love to be so busy with my life that when I get a chance to breathe it's 10x sweeter since I gave up the last chance to rest to make it to the last 10 minutes of whatever gymnastics event or science fair that I wasn't going to make it to just to support my kids. I want a busy and crazy life... but not right now.  Everyone that just graduated college is in such a hurry to move along with their lives and it isn't even all the engagements and weddings that inspired me tonight, it was actually someone else reaction to their social circle going through the same thing. I just read a blog post about the 'blah blah blah 23 things to do before you turn 23' instead of getting married and really it just kinda sounded like someone that was desperate to convince themselves that they have power over the fact that they haven't found the person they want to spend their life with. I say if you've found them, power to you.  I do like the idea of a long drawn out engagement at our age but do it up. Show the world how much you love each other and all the luck in the world staying together (and I really mean it).

The things that resonated through me the most in this previously mentioned blog post was her speaking to the fact that you change so much in your 20s.  I could not agree more.  As I'm going through it myself and really coming into the person I want to be in my early twenties I start to think about who I was and who I will be.  So here they are *drum roll please*, the much anticipated  things I love about myself and my life as a twenty something:

1) I love so much right now that I have control of my own life. There is no answering to anyone. If I want to have ice cream for breakfast- I can. If I want to get stoned and watch the entire 4th season of the League all day Saturday instead of doing grad school applications- I can. If I want to wake up tomorrow morning and pack up my car and drive until I don't have anymore money for gas- I sure as heck can. I probably won't- but I could if I wanted to.

2) I love so much right now how much my friends feel like family.  I know everyone, at every age always says that, but right now just coming back from a family holiday on the same night my friends and I had our holiday party that it's an easy choice.  Don't get me wrong- I love my family and spending time with them, but being with my drunk crazy friends exchanging gifts you could only buy at Goodwill while trashing my apartment was just more my speed. (And before you tear yourself into a frenzy over what I got- it's a blue light saber, a close second to the poster of the dinosaurs and the hideous lamp shaped like a creepy pig). Either way right now I know that my friends have my back in every decision I make right now, no matter how stupid, and that feels good.

3) I love how much life is an adventure. This past summer was in the top 5 of my lifetime. #1 being the summer between my junior and senior year in college by a landslide (freshly entering the life of a 21 year old and pyrotechnics made for an interesting 3 months to say the least).  One specific memory I have from that summer was when one of my friends called me from Connecticut inviting me to go down and go surfing for the weekend.  I had only been surfing once in my life (twice now) but I figured it would be fun so I packed up a bag, grabbed another friend and took off. Now long story short we ended up doing more driving and drinking than actual surfing that weekend but regardless it was spontaneous and fun.

Now. This is starting to sound like a sappy buzzfeed article so I'd like to say thanks for reading and I'm sorry that I ended up straying from the original topic. Although I'm not that sorry since clearly it doesnt upset me that much that people are getting engaged early (see what I meant in my first post about writing to understand my own thoughts- I think we're getting somewhere with this, people). I've also come up with a million dollar idea: what if there was a channel on television that showed all of the best cute animal videos from the internet. Until then, here's a pug in a swing..


2 comments: