Saturday, September 19, 2015

Week 0

So I'm sitting in the airport after having gone through security twice (there was left over water in my bottle) and spending $3 on a stupid pen so I could write down my emergency numbers but I know this is just the beginning.  For those of you that do know, the next sentence isn't for you.  For those of you that don't know, I'M GOING TO GHANA!  For those of you that thought I was going to Peru.. no hablo espanol bueno, so they wouldn't let me go.  No worries, did I mention I was going to Ghana instead?

I've had some mixed reactions when I tell people.  Here are the common reactions and my responses to them so that we can all be on the same page:
  • "Wow, really?"- "Yeah, really"
  • "What will you be doing there?"- short answer: "Feeding babies", longer answer: "Well it's a volunteer trip and I'll be working at a nutrition clinic in a refugee camp, so I'll be focused on refeeding malnourished children", honest answer: "I don't actually have much to tell you because I don't really know that much about it.  I know where I'll be working and the organization that I'm doing this through has given me some information (see previous answer) but they also said that on a volunteer opportunity like this one you have to be ready for anything so my day-to-day life is going to depend on where my services are needed.
  • "How long will you be gone for?"- "3 months, I'll be back right before Christmas."
  • "What made you decide to do this?"- "Well, a volunteer trip like this has always been in the back of my mind and will just finishing my internship and everything, I figured what better time than now?"
  • "Why Ghana?"- "Well believe it or not, a lot of these volunteer opportunities have projects for medical professionals like doctors and nurses, but not a lot of them are focused specifically on nutrition.  During my internet research I found only a couple of projects that do.  I was originally planning on going to Peru (as read above) but that didn't work out so I found myself going to Africa instead.  I'm at about peak excitement about the opportunity to work with nutrition in a struggling country at all, and the more I read about Ghana the more I am realizing not going to Peru ended up being a blessing in disguise."
  • "Are you excited?"- "Very much yes, and nervous too."
  • "I don't mean to sound ignorant, but where is Ghana?"- "it's ok I get asked that a lot.  It's in the north western part of Africa, along the coast of the Atlantic.. kind of in the armpit looking part.
http://ghc-ca.com/maps/map-ghana-africa-imp.gif
  • "Where will you be living?/ Will you know anyone there?"- "I'll be in a volunteer house set up by the organization.  The website says there is between 5 and 20 volunteers living there at a time so looks like I'll be making friends."
  • "Will you have internet?"- "Yes, there should be some down the road from the volunteer house. And my project specifically says that I need to bring a computer so maybe there too?  I'm hoping to document this whole adventure weekly (and I'm hoping that by announcing that, I'll stick to it)."
  • "Be safe"- "Thanks, and I will be.  I'll keep my wits about me and the Ghanaian government is fairly stable and has been since the early 90s.  They are just kind of stuck in a poverty trap because of war debts from years ago and that fact that nobody will trade with them (at least that's what I read in one of my pre-trip, poverty and economics books), but I've also heard that everyone there is super friendly."
  • "Have fun!"- "I will!"
I've heard that trips like this change you.  And honestly, I know it will, but I'm secretly hoping.. not too much.  I'm not talking about the snobby- 'I just got back from helping a 3rd world country and I'm the greatest thing since sliced bread'- kind of changing that wears off once you're back for a few weeks.  I'm talking about the life long connection you develop with helping people and being selfless and giving away your service expecting nothing in return.  I'd like to think that the part of me that would be most affected by this is already churning at max capacity.
Buttttt let's be real.. everyone could use a little selfless tune up.  So I guess I'll just let this amazing opportunity change me for the better.

I'll try to get pictures as I can.  Here's the first one of everything I'm bringing (my favorite: the 99 pills of malaria medication that I have to take everyday)


So I'm all vaccinated, read, and packed.  This is week 0.  I'll be there for 12, which means 12 posts to look forward to.  I'll be posting about what I'm doing, adventures I go on, what I'm eating, to let you know that I'm safe, and frankly to say hi to everyone that I left behind.  My cell phone won't work there so this blog will be a primary mode of communication (this, email, and probably a little bit of facebook) so if you have any questions or want to fill me in on some gossip happening at home hit me up here.  Anything else and I'll see ya in December!

No comments:

Post a Comment