Sunday, November 9, 2014

So I made this huge mistake...

So I made this huge mistake last week.  This wasn't any old, left my hair straightener plugged in all night and now there is a char mark next to my sink kind of mistake.  This was a brain mistake, the kind where I screwed up my train of thought out of purely selfish actions.  And now I'm writing about it to help myself understand and get back on track.  This is for me, not you.

So I finished my food service rotation of this internship that consumes my time last week.  To remain politically correct about the experience, I learned a lot from it.  And that's all I'm saying, fill in the blanks on that one, mind reader.  To celebrate the fact that I was done I spent the weekend preparing for my next rotation... CLINICAL!  To answer your question, yes it is a scary as it sounds!  My name is out there in the medical field- after only 4 days there I am officially official.  If something gets fucked up with one of these patients my name is on their chart.  Legitimately Legit.  So, in order to prepare for this rotation I... studied from old textbooks, reread some old case studies from college, took a prequiz, tried to relax, and dusted off and watched some episodes from one of my old favorite shows, House. Ok, that last part wasn't exactly a way that I was preparing for my rotation but I was bored and House was on the 'flix.  This was the huge mistake I made.

I go into my first day of the rotation a nervous wreck just trying to make it through.  The first patient chart I look it was pretty standard.  Coronary artery disease, which like most other heart failure patients had run it's course in the rest of the patient's body.  This lead to some elevated laboratory findings, some renal issues and a nutrition consult.  So silly me, after watching like 13 hours of a television show about a doctor dedicated to only solving the cases that others can't, my mind starts freaking out! What does that lab mean? Is that the only thing going on with them? How do those medications react with those ones? What about all the crazy underlying issues that we haven't tested for yet? Are we going to test fro them? What kind of healthcare workers are we? How is this going to progress to a more complicated case? Don't they all do that??  I forgot to remember that like 99.9% of the people that end up in the hospital are standard patients whose problems run a standard course and there is a standard treatment that, if followed properly, will lead to a discharge.  So now I'm grounded from watching House and I'm not allowed to assume someone's prognosis is immediately going down hill.  SORRY for caring...


No comments:

Post a Comment